Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine Department of Pediatrics welcomes visiting fourth-year medical students to apply for elective experiences at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago. Specific details on schedule, eligibility, and course descriptions are available here. There is also a Visiting Student FAQ, which may help address your questions.
Visiting student applications are processed using VSAS (Visiting Student Application Service). The VSAS system is not designed to process applications from students attending international schools. By adopting this new system, we are forced to make changes with regard to the types of applicants we will accept. Currently, we only accept applications from students who attend the following types of institutions:
- United States medical school
LCME-accredited medical school located in the United States
- Osteopathic medical school
Any AOA-accredited Osteopathic medical school
- Selected students from our Global Partners institutions
Unfortunately, we can no longer accept applicants from schools located outside the contiguous 48 states, Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, with the exception of Global Partner institutions.
Visiting Student Elective Program
for Students Underrepresented in Medicine
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and the McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University welcome students from diverse backgrounds from the Class of 2017 to apply for senior elective rotations. We are providing stipends of up to $1,500 to qualified students to help defray the cost of an away rotation. Please review the full criteria for eligibility on the McGaw Medical Center website.
We define the following groups as underrepresented for our pediatrics program:
- Black (African/African American)
- Latino/Hispanic (Mexican American, Cuban, Puerto Rican, Central American, South American)
- Native American/Native Hawaiian
- LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender)
- Men are also defined as underrepresented for Pediatrics
• Please refer to the Visiting MD Student website here. Application requirements and further stipend information can be found on the Visiting Student Application Requirements page here.
• Students applying for the stipend are encouraged to apply no less than three months in advance to assure adequate processing time for the supplemental application.
• All visiting student application materials must be submitted in addition to the Visiting Student Elective Program for Students Underrepresented in Medicine Supplemental form.
Additional questions should be directed to Allison McCollum at email@example.com.
Jennifer Trainor, MD
Associate Chair for Education,
Department of Pediatrics